Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Natural Clothes Softener

   For more than a year, I have been using vinegar in a Downy Ball for our clothes softener.  It does a good job at softening and it does not leave a film on the clothes like other softeners do.  One of the things I have noticed with this is how absorbent my kitchen and bathroom cloths are.  

Another thing the vinegar does is it cleans hard water deposits that build up on the inside of the washer and the hoses.  Even if you don't want to switch from your favorite softener, running a load with vinegar every couple of loads will help your washer stay 'ungunked'.

  Using vinegar instead of softeners with perfumes is very beneficial to people with skin sensitivities.  My husband and little boy have sensitive skin and the vinegar has been great for them, no more itchy skin.  I also make our laundry soap to help with their skin. This http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm is the recipe I use. I add either Lavender or Citrus essential oil to it for a great natural scent. I buy those here because of their purity and unparalleled scent.  www.5900975.myforevergreen.org

  You don't need to worry about the smell of the vinegar :) - it goes away completely when the clothes are dried.  I add 3-5 drops of essential oils to the Downy Ball too for the smell ( I love the smell of my laundry washing), and the antimicrobial effects.  I use Guardian blend when I want to make sure viruses and germs are being killed and I really like Lavender or Orange on our clothes too.  Another way to get these smells on the clothes is to put a few drops on a cloth in the dryer.

White vinegar helps with whitening so when I add it to a 'whites' load, I fill the downy ball to the top and add the essential oils.  When I do a 'colors' load I only fill the ball 1/4 to 1/2 way full.

  Try it out and see what you think. It is one more way you can be in charge of your health.

Happy Healthy,
~Elisa

2 comments: