Saturday, January 8, 2011

Almond Mild Recipe

This is the second time I've written this post. The first one got deleted just as I was ready to publish it! I DO NOT like it when that happens!

This is the recipe I have come to use after about 4 years of making it. I have tried lots of different variations and this is the easiest and tastiest for me.

Step 1:  soak the almonds for 12 to 24 hours. 

I try to soak all of my nuts, grains, and seeds before using them. Not only does it predigest them so they are easier on the body but it is also said that the nutrition content rises by 300 percent! There are even some vitamins present after sprouting that were not there before hand.

Step 2:  freeze the almonds you are not using right away.

They will be good covered with water in the fridge for 2 or 3 days but I like to freeze them so they are for sure not gone bad by the time I want to use them again.

Step 3: blend 1 cup of almonds and 1 cup of water for 30 seconds on the highest setting.

This will depend on your blender. I use a Blendtec - it is the best blender I have found.

Step 4: Add 2 packets of Stevia, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and 3 cups of water.

Step 5: Blend on the Wholefoods setting in a Blendtec or just until very blended.

Step 6: Add cold water until at an 8 or 9 cup volume.

Step 7: Strain. ( I guess you could strain this at Step 5 and then add water to dilute)

I have a tube sock that is set aside for this purpose. It works really good for me!

Voila! You have almond milk! Yum.

I use it for everything that calls for regular milk. It does not have animal hormones,antibiotics or any of the other bad stuff that is in cow milk these days.
Almond milk is full of vitamins and healthy fats and plus -it is also a very economical way to go.

Try your hand at making Almond milk and let us know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. I don't add the last water any more. We like it with 4 cups of water and 1 cup of almonds. We don't even put in the vanilla or sweetener anymore. Just almonds and water!

    ReplyDelete